- May 14, 2018 at 1:01 pm #181
Many people assume that an essay is an ordinary work. However, it is not.
EssayIs a prosaic literary genre. Translated from French means “sketch” or “sketch”. The essay reflects the individual experiences of the author, his views on a particular question. It does not provide an exhaustive answer to a specific question, but reflects one’s own opinion or impression.
When writing an essay, the logic develops perfectly, the ability to argue one’s opinion, and correctly present the information. Style of presentation is more focused on conversational.
Characteristics of the essay
To correctly write an essay, you should take into account the specific features that distinguish it from other genres.
The main features of the essay:
- The presence of a certain narrow topic that contains the problem and prompts the reader to meditate.
- Subjective author’s position. Essay It is precisely the presence of the author’s view of the existing problem, its attitude to the world, speech and thinking that distinguishes it.
- Spoken writing style. It is necessary to avoid complicated formulations, too long sentences. It is important to follow a laid-back style to establish contact with the reader. It is important not to overdo it, turning the essay into a substandard text full of slang. The correct emotional color of the text will be given by short, simple and understandable sentences, the use of different intonations in sentences.
- A detailed analysis of the problem. Our own point of view needs to be argued on the basis of factual material.
Relative brevity of presentation. There are no restrictions on the number of pages, but the essay is small in volume.
- Free construction. The essay has a character of presentation that does not fit into any definite framework. The construction obeys its own logic, which the author adheres to, trying to consider the problem from different angles.
- Logic of exposition. Despite the free composition, the essay must have an internal unity, consistency of the author’s statements expressing his opinion.
Thus, the essay is distinguished by a special style of narrative and aims to induce the reader to reflect. The author does not insist on his point of view, but as if invites the reader to think and discuss it.
How to write an essay?
Proper writing of the essay is to understand the features of the genre. Observance of the basic principles and recommendations on writing will create an interesting essay.
How to choose a theme
If there is no list of topics among which you can choose one, and only a general direction is given, then you need to take into account which audience the essay is designed for. Variants can be different: the teacher in the university, the commission, the literary community, the employer. If the essay is written for delivery to the teacher, then it is necessary to consider what qualities will be evaluated. Proceeding from this, the topic should be chosen in such a way that it would be possible to show those abilities that the examiner from the author is waiting for: originality, the ability to logically construct sentences, literacy, professional qualities, etc.
When choosing the topic of writing an essay from the proposed list, you should choose one in which there is a certain knowledge, considerations or just strong interest.
If the essay is focused on the employer, it is desirable that both the topic and the content of the essay reflect the nature of the author, his sincerity, uniqueness, humanity and individuality.
How to start an essay
It often happens that a person who has enough eloquence and the ability to express his thoughts on paper, has difficulty in starting the essay, including the essay. Consideration of the beginning can stretch out for quite a long time, which greatly darkens the process of creative work. Take advantage of our tips on how to start an essay.
Tip 1. Before you start writing essays, you need to formulate an idea, define a goal and find sources of information for the work.
Tip 2. Use the freeriding technique (free writing). The essence of it is to write down all the thoughts that come to mind without editing it and not following grammar, punctuation, style, etc. A great way to help cope with the creative crisis and find an extraordinary idea.
Tip 3. It is important not to get stuck in the introductory part. The introduction can be written and after the main part is written. In this case it is already clear what the essay is about, therefore it is easier to write the introduction.
Tip 4. One of the fairly common options is to write an essay, starting with a question, the answer to which is given later.
How to draw up an essay plan
Do not try to make a perfect plan at once. In the process of work, it can be edited. It is not necessary to make a plan when writing an essay, as well as stick to the plan already written. The absence of restrictions and rigid frames is an advantage of this genre. If the author is easier to adhere to a strict plan, then it is worth taking time to compile it.
All the main thoughts should be reflected in the form of the items of the plan. Then, as detailed as possible, detail it by breaking each paragraph into sub-paragraphs.
Then read the plan, make sure that each item is in its place and is sufficiently detailed.
What does the structure of the essay consist of
The order of writing an essay is usually reduced to three steps.
Like any written work, the essay contains an introductory part or an introduction.
A well-written introduction makes the reader become interested and read the essay to the end. The introductory part may contain the formulation of the problem and its essence, rhetorical question, quotation, etc. It is important to create a special emotional mood and bring the reader to the problem under consideration.
In the main part, you can bring different points of view on the issue under consideration, touch upon the history of the issue.
Usually the main part consists of several sub-items, each of which consists of three sections: a thesis (the proposition to be proved), the justification (the arguments used to prove the thesis), a subpoena (partial answer to the main question).
Arguments are judgments expressed in order to convince the reader of the truth of a particular point of view. It can be different situations from life, the opinions of scientists, evidence, etc.
The argument can be constructed in the following sequence:
- The final judgment.
In conclusion, all the conclusions drawn for each thesis presented in the main part are combined. The reader should arrive at a logical conclusion based on the arguments given. In conclusion, the problem is re-introduced and a final conclusion is drawn.
If the goal of the introductory part is to interest the reader, then the goal of the latest proposals is to add integrity to the overall picture, leave the work in the reader’s memory and push it to reflections.
The difference between an essay and an essay
Correct writing an essay is different from writing a regular composition. Therefore, if the task is to write an essay, then it is necessary to take into account the characteristic features of the genre that distinguish it from the others.
Unlike the work in which the work of art is analyzed, the essay contains the author’s point of view and his position on the problem under consideration.
Also, one of the distinguishing essays from composing features is its paradox, that is, the goal is to surprise the reader, to impress him, using vivid images, aphorisms, paradoxical statements.
All the rules of drafting the essay are recommendatory in nature. Use our tips on how to write an essay, taking into account also the information presented above, and create an essay that will not leave the reader indifferent.
Tips for writing:
- When writing essays, you should alternate short phrases with long ones. In this case, the text will be dynamic enough to be easy to read.
- Do not use complex and incomprehensible words, especially if the meaning of the word is unfamiliar.
- You should use as few common phrases as possible. The essay should be unique, individualized, reflecting the author’s personality.
- Humor should be used very carefully. Sarcasm and insolence can irritate the reader.
- Reflection of personal experience, memories and impressions is a great way to confirm your point of view and convince the reader.
- It is necessary to stick to the topic and the main idea, without deviating from it and not describing unnecessary details.
- After completing the essay, you should reread it, making sure that the logic of the presentation is preserved throughout the narrative.
- The use of facts in the essay, research results – an excellent option for giving credibility.
Common errors when writing an essay
Knowing the most common mistakes will help prevent them from writing their own essays.
Mistake 1. The fear of being misunderstood or not making the right impression helps the author to remove all the extra, outstanding from the essay. Due to this essay can lose its individuality and uniqueness.
Mistake 2. Insufficient elaboration of details. A common mistake is the existence of an assertion that is not supported by a sufficient number of arguments in the form of examples and proofs.
Mistake 3. Misunderstanding of the essence of the problem stated in the essay or the wrong interpretation of the topic.
Mistake 4. Enumeration of other people’s opinions, without indicating their authorship and lack of their own point of view.
All the charm of the genre of the essay consists in the absence of strict limitations. Full freedom of creativity, the opportunity to express your opinion and share your thoughts, an unconventional solution to the problem – these are features inherent in the essay, making this genre attractive to a creative person, generating original ideas.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.